"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Beach Ball Block Tutorial

Measurements and instructions for this project are given for a single block because this project is aimed at using those larger scraps of big novelty print fabrics that are so hard to work with.   However, having said that, any fabric will work for the block, so have fun with it!

Finished block size - 9.5" square (10" unfinished)

Materials needed for one block:

Novelty print -
          2 pieces 4.5" by 10"
Coordinating fabric -
          1 piece 2.5" by 10"
Background fabric -
          4 - 2.5" squares

Note: I used my scraps the size they were after making sure I had a straight edge on them for seams.   And then trimmed them to the final size.

Step 1: Sew the coordinating color between the two pieces of your novelty print.  Press the seams in the direction that you want them to go.  (I pressed them towards the coordinating color.)

Step 2: If needed square your blocks to 10" square in size.





Step 3:  Place the 4 background fabric squares on the corners of your block.   Sew from corner to corner (side to adjacent side) across the background fabric.   Trim to a 1/4  seam.

Step 4: Press seam in the desired direction.

Step 5: Once you have all the blocks you want made, then lay them out in the desired pattern and sew your quilt top together.   Finish as desired!

A possible layout will be coming in the next couple of days....but first I have to actually get the corners on my remaining blocks!   That might take a day or two because I'm off to Casper for the second chemo treatment this evening (treatment is tomorrow morning) and I'm definitely not bouncing back from them as easily as I did yrs ago.....the joys of getting older.

Gratitudes:
1. Spring break is next week - I'll have the time to get some of this commissioned sewing finished up and off to where it should be.  =)

2. Got my first paycheck for the PT job - woohoo...........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting this up! Now I have another one I can use on some of those scraps I'm cleaning up! This makes it much easier.

Nancy in IN said...

Thank you for the tutorial.
Enjoy your spring break. My grands had one last week and the local schools have theirs for two weeks beginning Friday.
Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great scrap buster. And it makes a cute quilt.