"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Sunday, December 20, 2015

When to replace or retire?

I don't know about other quilters, but I know for me that the best complement that someone could give me is to use a quilt I've given them.   And use it enough to actually wear it out and need a new one.   Well, I've finally done that with what I believe was my first quilted project from way back when I was in High School.  

Way back in the "dark ages", I made a quilted cover for a pillow that my maternal Grandmother had made for me.   She had used scraps of the poly-double knits that she made her pants from for the pillow and stuffed it with shredded foam.   That stuff wears like iron to say the least.   The only problem is that it's all textured and isn't the most comfortable stuff to sleep on, and this pillow gets used nightly so that I can keep my head elevated.

When I made it all that was available was lighter weight poly-cotton prints.   So that is what I used, along with polyester batting.  

The cover lasted actually pretty
well up unto the last yr or so when it started falling apart.    Guess I can't complain too much since it is over 40 yrs old now.

Replacing this cover (and putting more foam into the pillow again!) is one of my projects for the first part of the coming year.  I haven't decided what pattern or colors to use for the cover.   And might go digging through my stash of unused blocks to see what is in there that might work for the cover.  Or who knows I might decide to go digging thru the stash to see what takes my fancy.  =)

At any rate, how far do you let your quilted projects go before deciding that they need to be repaired are gotten rid of?

Gratitudes:

1.  Cool temps (ok, cold) temps outside so I can cool down!

2. Christmas vacation!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That one would definitely qualify. =) R. has several quilts that are shredding, but he won't get rid of them, so I just make a new one now and then, and he keeps them all on the bed. =) P. just loses his. LOL I've not worn one of mine out yet, but the binding on one or two could stand to be replaced in the next couple of years.